Valve is gearing up to release the next version of Proton, their compatibility tier that runs Windows games on Steam Deck and Linux desktops, with Proton 7.0-4 having a Release Candidate ready for testing.
This only rose a few hours ago and you can try it and report feedback to Valve. As usual for testing releases, the current list of changes may be different than when it’s officially out. To test it out you’ll need to sign up directly for the beta on Proton 7. So search for Proton 7 in your Steam library, go to Properties, Betas and select the “release candidate”.
Here’s what’s new/improved:
- Now playable:
- Aquarist – My first job
- Chuzzle Deluxe
- Zuma’s Revenge!
- Karmaflow The Rock Opera Video Game – Act I & Act II
- The Rising of the Shield Hero: Relive the Animation
- Disgaea 5
- Support for automatically displaying the on-screen keyboard on Steam Deck in Final Fantasy XIV launcher.
- Fix Final Fantasy XIV launcher will shut down silently if there is not enough space to download the update.
- Fix The Ball shows error on first launch.
- Fix video playing in: POST: Brain damage.
- Fix Hardspace: Shipbreaker cannot connect to online services.
- Fix music in Let’s Build a Zoo.
- Fix Azur Lane: Crosswave hangs on black screen for some users.
- Fix Dokyusei Bangin’ Summer only shows flickering black window.
- Fix Bloons TD 6 crashes on touch input.
- Fix Sid Meier’s Civilization IV crashes on world creation.
- Fix Assassin’s Creed Origins hanging while playing after a recent game update.
- Fix Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Zombies and Call of Duty: Black Ops II – Multiplayer crashes after online connection.
- Fix graphics issues in Cossacs 3.
- Fix distorted audio in Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak.
- Fix Elite Dangerous and other launchers not working properly when cloned screens are present.
- Implement Vulkan different process view (used by nw.js games).
- Improve HROT performance.
- Improve video playback for many games that previously required targeted hacks.
- Reduce the space used by game prefixes if the file system supports copy-on-write.
- Update dxvk to v1.10.3
- Update vkd3d-proton to v2.6-1-gc05900da
If you’d like to try it out and provide feedback, Valve is especially interested in issues that are directly new to the release candidate builds. So if you notice that something is broken between Proton 7.0-3 and Proton 7.0-4, Valve should be aware of it. Many of the changes stem from previous builds of Proton Experimental.
You can report issues on the GitHub page.