Sega has released another batch of fixes for Sonic Origins – the publisher’s disappointing collection of classic Sonic platformers – this time focusing on Sonic the Hedgehog 2’s tricky Tails AI.
Sonic Origins, to put it politely, was a bit of a mess when it launched earlier this year, and was plagued with enough presentation and technical issues — as extensively documented by John Linneman of Digital Foundry — that the developer came out to Sega publicly. , said it was “very unhappy” about the state in which the game was launched.
Since then, Sega has worked to fix some of Origins’ most egregious issues, and the latest patch — officially known as update 1.04 — sparks an effort to fix a widely reported AI issue that would cause Tails to repeatedly disappears from the screen in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, unable to rejoin the action.
Furthermore, patch 1.04 promises a number of other bug fixes, plus corrections for several mislabeled soundtrack names in the museum, and an update to the Blue Sphere music that should now let it play at the correct speed.
1.04 are not all bug fixes though; it also makes some new Sonic Mania codes compatible with Sonic the Hedgehog 3’s sound test feature, such as: detailed by TheOcelot01 on Twitter:
- 6214 – disables Super Sonic music
- 19790811 – turns all enemies into squirrels “Ricky” when defeated
- 19921124 – Infinite Continues (Works in Classic Mode)
- 20170815 – Fly While Super Sonic (Egg Reverie Movement)
- 19930923 – activates Super Peel-Out
- 47891 – turns all item boxes into question mark item boxes, so what you get is random
- 19910623 – Turns Flame, Bubble, and Lightning Item Boxes into Sonic 2 Shields
- 00000000 – removes all rings, item boxes and special podium rings
- 19940202 – changes title screen and zone title cards to “Sonic The Hedgehog 3”, removes “& Knuckles”
- 19900306 – Turns all Badniks into the Penguin Badnik from Ice Cap
- 32160 – Gives Sonic drop dash and insta shield in Competition mode, gives normal single player physics in Competition mode, makes Knuckles slide in Competition mode
The Sonic Origins 1.04 update is now available on all platforms.