Fifty-three different types of beverage and food products from 12 different brands were included in a recall due to possible unsafe microbial contamination, including cronobacter sakazakii. Food and beverage manufacturer Lyons Magnus issued the recall last week.
Cronobacter infections are rare, according to the recall on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration website, and can cause fever, vomiting or urinary tract infections. But cronobacter can be dangerous or life-threatening to babies, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems.
Some batches of the following beverage brands or types are included in the recall:
- Lyons Ready Care (Thickened Dairy Drink in various consistencies and 2.0 High Calorie High Protein Drinks in Vanilla, Chocolate and Butter Pecans in 8 or 32 oz. boxes)
- Lyons Barista Style (almond, coconut and oat milk in 32 oz boxes)
- Pirq (Plant Protein 32 ml boxes sold in vanilla, chocolate, caramel coffee and strawberry flavors)
- Glucerna Original (8 oz chocolate, strawberry and vanilla boxes sold in 24-count boxes)
- Aloha (chocolate sea salt, coconut, vanilla and iced coffee vegetable protein cartons)
- Intelligentsia (ColdCoffee and Oat Latte 330ml boxes)
- Kate Farms (Pediatric Standard 1.2 Vanilla Drink 250 ml boxes)
- Oatly (Barista Edition oat milk in boxes of 32 oz)
- Premier Protein (chocolate, vanilla, cafe latte 330 ml boxes)
- MRE (biscuits and cream, milk chocolate, salted caramel and vanilla milkshake 330 ml protein shakes)
- Stumptown (cold brew coffee in 325 ml boxes in oat milk Original, oat milk Horchata, oat milk chocolate, chocolate Cream & Sugar and original Cream & Sugar flavors)
- Imperial (Med Plus 2.0 Vanilla Nutritional Drink, Med Plus NSA 1.7 Vanilla Nutritional Drink, Med Plus 2.0 Butter Pecan Nutritional Drink and Thickened Dairy Drink in various consistencies)
According to the recall, no illnesses have been reported. But if you recognize any of the brands or beverages on the list, check the recall for a full list of the specific lot codes, UPC numbers, and expiration dates of the recalled products. If your product information matches what’s on the list, you’ll need to throw it away or return the drink to where you bought it for a refund. Any additional questions can be directed to Lyon at 1-800-627-0557 or the company’s website.
The information in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified healthcare professional if you have any questions about a medical condition or health goals.